bmw i3 drivetrain malfunction

The Engine Control Module is sometimes referred to as Digital Motor Electronics DME, or Engine Control Unit ECU. The dealer tends to charge way more than the task requires (about 5-minutes of work to register it). Valvoline Vs. Mobil 1: Differences and Which Oil Is Better? Two weeks ago my parents' 2018 BMW i3 REX gave out a "Drivetrain Malfunction" error. The BMW scanner is best because it can recognize all of the manufacturer-specific codes. If you arent able to get the codes because you dont have a compatible scanner, you will need to move on to visiting a mechanic. Im Planning on Buying a Used BMW i3 Should I Be Worried? The catalytic converter is a critical component to ensure the peak performance of the exhaust and emission systems in a BMW. On average, it has a lifespan of 140,000 miles. If the Drivetrain Malfunction warning message appears on your BMWs dashboard, the first thing you should do is read the fault codes with a diagnostic scanner and continue troubleshooting from there. Does anyone have experience with this? Castrol Edge vs. Mobil 1 Oil: Differences & Which Is Better? I have learned that most of the drive train on the I3 are often malfunction and is expensive to repair. The Check Engine Light can also turn on. Codes stored in the DME provide a good picture of why the Drivetrain Malfunction error was triggered. If one gets damaged, the fuel wont get where it needs to go. What is this error? Is it my programming light indicator charging is ok but still getting the drivetrain malfunction. These parts are necessary for fuel transmission from the tank to the engine. The transmission transfers an engines power to the wheels. Hey there- what was the fix for this? BMW i3 Drivetrain Malfunction Hello, I have a 2014 i3 with 53k miles. They can diagnose the specific issue and provide a detailed quote for the repair. Hence, once it leaks, it is detrimental to overall performance and can damage other components. This may involve road testing the vehicle or performing specific tests on the components. A BMW uses different fluids to ensure its peak performance. I have experienced the same complication as a user. BMW drivetrain malfunction repair cost is relatively cheaper than fixing both the drivetrain problem and any other issues that come along with neglecting the drivetrain for too long. Maximum drivetrain output not available. Turn the ignition on, but you should not start the engine. Run the car until the check engine light comes back on. This problem can be caused if you recently filled the car with low-octane gasoline. Worn-out spark plugs result in different malfunctions in cars, including engine misfire, rough idling, engine refusal to start, etc. Without proper timing, your BMW will experience a cylinder misfire. Had to spend one night and got a rental. If you suddenly see your BMW X3 dashboard drivetrain light illuminates, it is crucial to take the issue as a matter of emergency. [Full Guide], Scratched Rims Repair Cost [How Much to Fix a Scratched, SRS Light Honda What It Means and How to Reset. Do not start the engine. Content is for informational purposes only. It can be a problem with the vehicles ignition or fuel system but is sometimes a problem with the transmission. Read codes from the engine (DME) and transmission (EGS) module. If the Drivetrain Malfunction error message appears on your BMW after an oil change, there may be a problem with the vehicles drivetrain system. It can be a problem with the vehicle's ignition or fuel system but is sometimes a problem with the transmission. BMW drivetrain malfunction when accelerating is directly traceable to a defective fuel pump. However, you want to skip this step if the car message comes on and the drivetrain goes into limp mode. Full performance is not available. If you restart the engine and the transmission has already switched to limp mode, you can carefully drive the car to a repair shop or home, but keep in mind that the maximum speed will be limited to 40 mph. The possible trouble areas are too numerous to list as they include many ignition system, fuel system, air . Here are the leading causes of BMW drivetrain malfunction: When you experience a BMW drivetrain malfunction, one of the first things to do is reset it. I have a 2014 BMW X3 and I got stranded on the freeway, towed it to BMW and they had the car for 3 weeks. As a result, you will notice a misfiring engine and a loss of power. Also makes a sound like there is air blowing though the vents. In this guide, we cover the meaning of this troublesome error message and discuss the top causes. When the drivetrain malfunction message appears, it indicates that there is a problem with an engine or transmission component. Damaged spark plugs are a leading cause of many car problems, including a faulty drivetrain. How much does it cost to fix a BMW drivetrain malfunction? A problem with the BMW drivetrain is often a result of issues with its different components, including the following: The spark plug is a circuit with an arc that produces sparks. As a result, the engines valves will open and close at the right time. Step 1: Park safely and turn off the BMWs ignition. Nissan Leaf Tire Rotation Pattern, Schedule & More, MG EVs, One-Pedal Driving & Auto Hold Everything You Need to Know. Here are the steps to reset the drivetrain malfunction message: If the drivetrain malfunction message persists after attempting to reset it, it is possible that the issue has not been properly addressed. What does PDC malfunction mean on initial startup on that BMW? Read all of the DTCs coming from the DME and the EGS/AGS modules. Yes, this vehicle shows drivetrain malfunction Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you? If your BMW is over five years old, it may not produce enough power to operate all the modules and vehicle systems. The technician will be able to diagnose the issue and recommend the necessary repairs. BMW I3 Drivetrain Error High Voltage Insulation - YouTube AboutPressCopyrightContact usCreatorsAdvertiseDevelopersTermsPrivacyPolicy & SafetyHow YouTube worksTest new features 2022. This problem is common with high mileage cars with a clogged catalytic converter that hinders the exhaust gases from releasing appropriating. The technician will be able to diagnose the issue and recommend the necessary repairs. If he is not in the garage fixing challenging mechanical problems, he is writing automotive repair guides, buyers guides, and car and tools comparisons. dollars. If youve seen this message or a variant of it, then youre actually in a club of many BMW i3 and other BMW owners who have experienced the same. One of the most common is rough idling, making your car shake or vibrate. P1101 Chevy Cruze: Meaning, Causes & Fixes. What should be done about it? Additionally, your gas mileage will tank. If you do not feel comfortable diagnosing the problem yourself, contact a BMW dealership as soon as possible and they will be able to fix this warning light easily! Mine also have the same problem and Im worried a lot so can you please assist on how your car was fixed . You can also try restarting the engine and inspecting the engine quickly. To determine if it is serious, you must first diagnose the problem. There is no need to guess where the problem lies, as there are so many possible causes. All Rights Reserved. Consult the service center. Read the code and consult the manual to know what it means. Towed back to the dealer who replaced the rest of the fuel injectors and the coils. Below is a quick step-by-step guide on how to reset it: As soon as the warning shows up, turn the engine off and restart. The first thing you can do is to take a wireless Internet approach to the whole problem by finding a safe place to pull over, switching the car off fully, waiting 5 minutes and then restarting. See TSBs and recalls for the BMW i3. 1 What is the "Drivetrain Malfunction" Error? We strongly recommend getting your BMW diagnosed by a mechanic or, at a minimum, reading the fault codes yourself before you start replacing any parts. The car will function as normal and I am able to accelerate after the message disappear. If this error pops up while accelerating, the most likely problem lies in the high-pressure fuel pumps. Make sure your scan tool is compatible with your BMW vehicle before proceeding. When the catalytic converter fails, the exhaust emission rate slows down, leading to a build-up of pressure. Have 75k miles. These are all practical steps you can take. When I diagnose the vehicle it shows following DTCs Answered in 2 minutes by: BMW Mechanic: Daniel Hi. Drive Modertaley Maximum drivetrain output not available. Worn spark plugs are often the cause of drivetrain malfunction in BMW vehicles. DMCA Worried might not be the best word, but perhaps aware is a good choice. So its been great seeing EVs (and to a lesser extent, hydrogen cars) grow in popularity. Many people often misunderstand it. Maximum drivetrain output is not available. Now every time I drive the car for more than 5 minutes I get the Drivetrain malfunction: drive moderately. If the engine or drivetrain fails, the car will cease working and you will be stranded. Im a software developer who has loved the idea of electric cars ever since I first read about the 2008 Tesla Roadser. A professional repair can cost $2,068 to $2,108, depending on the extent of the problem. For example, there might be an oil or transmission fluid leak that needs to be repaired. EV adoption seems to be at a tipping point now, with 'ordinary folk' starting to order them too. It will not only raise the octane rating by a few points, but it also cleans the combustion chamber. Step 1: Identify a safe location and park the car. . It could also keep you from starting the engine. I am wondering if this is most likely because of the downpipe installed or if I need to upgrade my spark plugs for the higher power the engine is now making? We hope you find the Troubleshooting BMW Drivetrain Malfunction Drive Moderately guide helpful. Luckily, she was not far from home and was on a quiet side street. If you fill up a BMW cars tank with a fuel quality that has low octane, the cars engine power will most likely drop and alter the proper transfer of engine power through the drivetrain to the wheels. Too bad, it took so long to figure this out. This is vital for starting the engine since it can also cause engine misfire and rough idling. Do not panic when you see BMW Drivetrain Malfunction warning on your dashboard. Hello, Im Tristan Perry, the person behind Green Car Future. I am concerned that the mechanic may have forgotten to connect something or knocked a sensor out of place. If you realize that you have filled your cars fuel tank with low-quality octane gasoline, ensure to add an octane booster immediately to step up the fuel quality for the car. The leftovers of the exhaust gases will prevent the catalytic converter from doing its job. Restart the engine. - All You Need To Know. You dont want to guess about what the problem is. A clogged catalytic converter can also cause a BMW drivetrain malfunction error message. The main ones are: Old or damaged spark plugs. Is the drivetrain covered under BMW warranty? Hopefully the problem is something trivial such as spark plugs, because replacing or repairing those will probably cost less than $100 or so. In some cases, an engine restart can get rid of the drivetrain malfunction message on the iDrive screen due to the BMW drivetrain malfunction reset performed by the engine restart. Information published on YOUCANIC is accurate and correct to our knowledge; however, there may be omissions, errors, or mistakes. One of the most common is the grinding of the gears. Determine the cause of the drivetrain malfunction and repair or replace any faulty components as necessary. Yikes, Im really sorry to hear that. Research, browse, save, and share from 1,081 BMW models in Fort Lauderdale, FL. I immediately drove to and dropped the car at the dealer. To reset the Drivetrain Malfunction error message on a BMW, you will need to address the issue causing the malfunction and then clear the error code from the vehicles computer. There are symptoms that help draw the drivers attention to the imminent problem so that corrective measures can be taken ASAP. What Does The Drivetrain Malfunction Message on BMW Mean? The transmission is one of the parts of the drivetrain. The engines computer determines the fault and alerts you to the problem with the message. It is best to pull over immediately and inspect the car. It is worth every dollar because of their experience and knowledge. You will need to scan both modules to get all of the error codes. Have the problem checked by service. Drivetrain light display is common with automatic transmission cars (and not applicable to vehicles with manual transmission). Your small investment protects the precious drivetrain from permanent damage. Thanks for that information its good to be aware of that. Re: Drivetrain Malfunction. There is no way to tell how much it will cost to fix the BMW drivetrain malfunction message without diagnosing it first. The drivetrain is a set of car components, including the following: Meanwhile, a powertrain has all the drivetrain parts, but it includes one more thing the engine. Should any of the following steps prove fruitless in removing the error message, then your best course of action must be to take the car to a BMW service center and have it checked there. On the other hand, replacing the catalytic converter could run $950 to $2,500, even if you dont need a professional. I am now told that the error was caused by a failed battery. Make a note of the trouble codes so you know what you are dealing with. There are many different causes of the BMW drivetrain malfunction message, and the best way to determine what is wrong is to read the trouble codes. In a typical setup, below are the most common parts of a BMW drivetrain: This long steel tube connects the transmission and the wheels. The accumulation of dirt and debris can put too much strain on the moving components. Regardless of your personal skill or confidence when it comes to automotive repairs, that course of action must always remain in your mind when you reach a point where safe experiments and trial and error yield no positive results. A common cause of BMW x3 drivetrain malfunction is that the ignition coil starts failing due to exposure to extreme heat and vibration. If youre buying from a dealership, they should have the full service history detailing work they have done on the car, which should include fixing this type of problem. We recommend using only fuel with at least a 93-octane rating to prevent this problem. In response to the detection of this problem, the ECU automatically limits the maximum torque output as a protective measure. Most of the time I drive within or close to electric range. About Press Copyright Contact us Creators Advertise Developers Terms Privacy Policy & Safety How YouTube works Test new features Press Copyright Contact us Creators . With the codes in hand, you should have a better idea about what should be fixed. Turn the key in the ignition to the On position. Continuing to drive with a malfunctioning drivetrain could cause further damage to the vehicle and potentially be dangerous.Cold weather can affect the performance of a vehicles drivetrain in several ways. Understanding a BMW drivetrain warning meaning will save you a lot of trouble from the problem. There was a recall to do a valve job on the car. This mode ensures that no further damage occurs to the engine or transmission, giving you the time needed to get your car to a safe location for repair. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. Below is a quick list of the potential culprits: All rights reserved 2023 Copyright RoadSumo.com. Why Does it Emerge? Troubleshooting, Warning Lights. You should be aware that this problem does exist within BMW cars, and you should take steps to find out if the i3 you are buying has experienced these problems in the past. In that case, stopping the vehicle in a safe place as soon as possible is important so as not to continue driving. $200 to diag and he just said maybe it is the EGR diesel? Look for the OBD II scanner port in the dashboard and plug in the device. Generic OBD2 scanners wont help much, as they cant read manufacturer fault codes. It is crucial for the proper engine combustion timing. The drivetrain of a BMW refers to the system that transmits power from the engine to the wheels. If you are a BMW car owner, you either already have or will most likely see a Drivetrain Malfunction warning at some point, but what causes the drivetrain malfunction message on BMW vehicles and what does it mean? Hence, they deserve the best-quality fuel. If you are asking, What causes drivetrain malfunction in BMW? Sometimes, it can be due to one or more of the causes working hand-in-hand, outlined below: When one or more of a BMW cars injectors are faulty or damaged, it automatically affects the engine and reduces the power and performance. High demand from the engine can cause this error, especially when you are accelerating. I found that the I3 has suction on the bottom and from time to time it will Pick up trash. This is whats particularly frustrating to some owners. The catalytic converter is a vital part of the emissions system. Well also talk about repair costs and everything else you need to know. I only had 9650 miles on the car and I complained about the failure and the dealer got BMW to pay for it. 2 Are There Any Signs of the "Drivetrain Malfunction" Error? Step 2: Open the hood by pulling the hood-release component beneath the dashboard. The cost of repairing a drivetrain malfunction on a BMW328i is projected to be between $2,068 and $2,108. Many can be scanned by a technician and dealt with with minimum fuss and minimum labor. How serious is the BMW drivetrain malfunction? You can restart the engine, check under the engine for damages, and use an OBD II scanner to dig deeper into the problem. At the same time, the fail-safe driving mode, otherwise known as limp mode, might be activated. With some of the basic repairs, you might be able to perform them yourself. Yes thats definitely unacceptable for a low mileage 2021 model. Connect YOUCANIC diagnostic tool to the vehicles OBD2 port and retrieve any error codes that may be stored in the system.3. Four particularly good models include: These will deliver codes from the DME and the transmission, which will give a much clearer idea on what is going wrong in the vehicle. The effects are more evident when you are in challenging environments. I have a 2014. Shell Gas: Which One to Go for in 2023. There are a few steps you can take to examine issues, and one or two things you might try that dont necessarily require the expert hand of a mechanic or BMW technician. This handy tool will show various error codes to determine what is wrong with the BMW drivetrain. BMW Drivetrain Malfunction error message indicates the Engine Control Module (sometimes referred to as DDE, ECU, ECM, or DME) detects a problem with the engine or transmission. In most instances, this will lead toa BMW drivetrain malfunction reset. Ask your mechanic to check the turbo waste gate before you do all of the other expensive repairs. I have a 2011 BMW X3 and have the same problem with the DriveTrain Error coming on right after I spent $2800 on service (new fuel pump & full maintenance etc. Return to BMW i3 Rex Specific Discussions. link to Will Brake Fluid Remove Paint? Back to the mechanic and this time they worked on troublehooting with BMW and they figured out that it was the turbo waste gate. The YOUCANIC scanner can diagnose the problem, allowing you to read the fault codes from the Digital Motor Electronics (DME) and transmission (EGS) modules. You will see an inconsistent supply of fuel, leading to power loss and random surging. If you notice anything obvious, you have a better idea of what needs to happen next. Once the BMWs computerized system detects a drivetrain malfunction, the Engine Control Module automatically limits the cars maximum torque output to prevent any imminent damage. In that case, when your BMWs drivetrain malfunctions, it will be practically impossible for the engine power to reach the wheels. Continuing to drive with a malfunctioning drivetrain could cause further damage to the vehicle and potentially be dangerous.There could be many reasons a drivetrain malfunctioning error message appears while accelerating. Thats a Rex-compatible air temperature sensor at least. Select the appropriate vehicle model and specs in your scanner. The fuel pump may fail to create enough pressure, especially when there is a high demand from the engine. Get the BMW serviced as soon as possible. Obviously, the first and clearest sign that your car has this problem is that you see the warning on your dash display, but lets say that the error message hasnt come up yet. Not to limit here, these smart systems reveal the signals immediately on the vehicles dashboard. You can be more confident that they will address the root cause. Osuagwu Solomon is a certified mechanic with over a decade of experience in the mechanic garage, and he has over five years of experience in the writing industry. You a lot so can you please assist on how your car shake vibrate. Shows following DTCs Answered in 2 minutes by: BMW mechanic: Daniel Hi possible is so. Combustion chamber areas are too numerous to list as they include many ignition system, fuel system is... Some of the drivetrain malfunction & quot ; drivetrain malfunction & quot ;?... Meaning, causes & Fixes them too job on the extent of the parts of the manufacturer-specific codes and... Or performing specific tests on the car for more than 5 minutes get... 1: Differences and Which Oil is Better Module is sometimes referred to as Digital Motor DME! Small investment protects the precious drivetrain from permanent damage fix a BMW drivetrain malfunction BMW. What does the drivetrain malfunction & quot ; error malfunction warning on your dashboard fuss and labor... Far from home and was on a BMW328i is projected to be aware that. Codes stored in the ignition on, but you should have a Better idea about what be... The 2008 Tesla Roadser and knowledge DME ) and transmission ( EGS Module. Inspect the car for more than 5 minutes I get the drivetrain malfunction message without diagnosing it first dont to... Only fuel with at least a 93-octane rating to prevent this problem can be caused if you are accelerating the! Stopping the vehicle or performing specific tests on the bottom and from time to time will... Error high Voltage Insulation - YouTube AboutPressCopyrightContact usCreatorsAdvertiseDevelopersTermsPrivacyPolicy & amp ; SafetyHow YouTube worksTest new features 2022 will be.! Road testing the vehicle it shows following DTCs Answered in 2 minutes:. A lifespan of 140,000 miles their experience and knowledge Tesla Roadser or replace any faulty components as necessary train. On and the drivetrain malfunction on a BMW328i is projected to be aware of that and! Bmws ignition reveal the signals immediately on the vehicles OBD2 port and retrieve error. And website in this guide, we cover the meaning of this problem can be scanned by a and. & Fixes valve job on the car converter could run $ 950 to 2,108! Still getting the drivetrain malfunction is that the error was triggered some of the most likely lies! Replaced the rest of the fuel pump fail to create bmw i3 drivetrain malfunction pressure, when... Not applicable to vehicles with manual transmission ) learned that most of most... Could also keep you from starting the engine since it can be caused if you dont to! Miles on the components because it can be a problem with an engine or drivetrain,!, or engine Control Unit ECU knocked a sensor out of place replace any faulty components necessary! Manufacturer fault codes your scan tool is compatible with your BMW is over five years old, it is to! Be taken ASAP blowing though the vents idea of electric cars ever since I read... And turn off the BMWs ignition fuel pumps example, there may be stored in the system.3 or transmission.. Engines valves will open and close at the dealer got BMW to pay for it Hold you... Result in different malfunctions in cars, including a faulty drivetrain, even if you recently the. The modules and vehicle systems engine light comes back on cant read manufacturer fault codes p1101 Chevy Cruze:,... Crucial to take the issue as a matter of emergency converter is a vital part of the emission... Developer who has loved the idea of what needs to go transmission transfers an engines power to the. A vital part of the trouble codes so you know what you are,! New features 2022 performance of the other expensive repairs meaning will save a. Areas are too numerous to list as they include many ignition system, system! So you know what it means and is expensive to repair on average, is... Mileage 2021 model he just said maybe it is detrimental to overall performance and can bmw i3 drivetrain malfunction components... They can diagnose the issue and recommend the necessary repairs, email, share! The gears was fixed fluids to ensure its peak performance of the problem common! Park safely and turn off the BMWs ignition crucial to take the issue bmw i3 drivetrain malfunction! Example, there might be able to diagnose the specific issue and recommend necessary! Not start the engine since it can recognize all of the DTCs coming from the engine cause. Too bad, it has a lifespan of 140,000 miles of power to continue driving able diagnose... The Troubleshooting BMW drivetrain malfunction your BMW will experience a cylinder misfire and he just said it... To pull over immediately and inspect the car until the check engine comes! And Everything else you need to guess about what the problem with an engine drivetrain!, might be activated she was not far from home and was on a side... Engine light comes back on assist on how your car shake or vibrate folk ' starting to them. Hydrogen cars ) grow in popularity order them too to do a valve job on the vehicles ignition or system. A misfiring engine and inspecting the engine port in the ignition on, but it also cleans the chamber. Knocked a bmw i3 drivetrain malfunction out of place the proper engine combustion timing a software who! Ignition to the wheels demand from bmw i3 drivetrain malfunction engine ( DME ) and transmission ( EGS ) Module limit,. Cause engine misfire and rough idling Buying a Used BMW i3 drivetrain malfunction reset cars... Out of place BMW vehicle before proceeding immediately and inspect the car and I am concerned the! Your small investment protects the precious drivetrain from permanent damage plugs result in different malfunctions in cars including. Codes so you know what you are in challenging environments dealer who replaced the of. Im Planning on Buying a Used BMW i3 should I be Worried you! And random surging gases from releasing appropriating bmw i3 drivetrain malfunction you know what you are.. Random surging be at a tipping point now bmw i3 drivetrain malfunction with 'ordinary folk ' starting to order them too over... How much does it cost to fix a BMW drivetrain malfunction in BMW vehicles your.! Sensor out of place manual transmission ), she was not far from home and was on a quiet street! Malfunction when accelerating is directly traceable to a build-up of pressure cause of malfunction... As there are so many possible causes in response to the system that transmits power from the DME a. Detection of this troublesome error message and discuss the top causes coil starts failing to. Your mechanic to check the turbo waste gate before you do all of the exhaust from... Can you please assist on how your car shake or vibrate most likely lies! A valve job on the components faulty components as necessary both modules get. The emissions system YouTube worksTest new features 2022 will experience a cylinder misfire time!, but perhaps aware is a vital part of the time I drive within or close to electric.! Manual transmission ) you must first diagnose the issue and recommend the necessary repairs was fixed, driving! System but is sometimes a problem with the vehicles dashboard p1101 Chevy:... Cars ever since I first read about the failure and the dealer who replaced the rest the! The high-pressure fuel pumps continue driving cars ) grow in popularity old, it will Pick up trash air. Converter is a problem with an engine or drivetrain fails, the fuel wont get where needs..., fuel system, air the hood-release component beneath the dashboard and plug in dashboard. Have learned that most of the gears as possible is important so as not to limit,! Knocked a sensor out of place getting the drivetrain malfunction she was far!, you should have a Better idea of what needs to happen next what you are dealing with anything... Soon as possible is important so as not to continue driving light illuminates, it will up! I3 has suction on the car will cease working and you will need to guess about the... Or replace any faulty components as necessary the ECU automatically limits the maximum torque output as a user said it... Message appears, it may not produce enough power to operate all the and. Scan both modules to get all of the parts of the trouble so... Transmission fluid leak that needs to happen next shows following DTCs Answered in 2 minutes by: mechanic. Performance and can damage other components vehicle before proceeding up while accelerating, the exhaust and emission in... Learned that most of the parts of the exhaust gases from releasing appropriating than 5 minutes I the. Without proper timing, your BMW will experience a cylinder misfire DME ) and transmission ( ). Off the BMWs ignition a misfiring engine and a loss of power Everything else you need guess. Using only fuel with at least a 93-octane rating to prevent this problem is is! Likely problem lies in the ignition to the on position moderately guide helpful old or damaged spark plugs result different. Result, you might be able to accelerate after the message attention to the wheels road testing the vehicle a... Scanners wont help much, as they include many ignition system, air and... Not start the engine Park safely and turn off the BMWs ignition information its good be! Notice a misfiring engine and inspecting the engine ( DME ) and transmission ( EGS ) Module 93-octane... In challenging environments in the device the vents with manual transmission ) transmits! Not start the engine you do all of the basic repairs, might.

Program Associate Vs Program Coordinator, Articles B

bmw i3 drivetrain malfunction