yoruba names and surnames

They are used interchangeably. Adesina Pamilrinay: Cause me to laugh for joy. Check out this list of fantastic names for your little girl. Your email address will not be published. Male Yorb children were formerly given a new name on the ninth day after childbirth, while female Yorb babies were named on the 7th day. A surname of Greek origin, Alison means light. Its roots are also found in England and Scotland, where it is a patronymic name referring to Allens son., Aliu is a Nigerian last name with English roots. All rights reserved. READ ALSO: 100+ charming angel names to give your little bundle of joy. Asaju Asaju denotes a leader or head of warriors. Originating from the tribe of Igbo ethnicity, Njoku is a common Nigerian last name referring to the deity of the guardian of the Yam. This is a Hebrew word denoting a peaceful man. Sulaimom is equivalent to the English name Solomon. Kayin - The long-awaited child. The Yoruba Name Generator can generate thousands of ideas for your project, so feel free to keep clicking and at the end use the handy copy feature to export your Yoruba names to a text editor of your choice. In ancient times, the names were found by divination performed by traditional Ifa priests, called Babalawo locally. 10. If so, check out the options below and their meanings. A surname is that name by which every member of a family is known, and that puts members of the family to- gether as coming from one ancestor. It finds its roots in the Igbo clan. Here are more amazing Yoruba names for your little boy. 7. In this community, twins are called either Taiwo or Kehinde, depending on whether they were born first or second. SaveIllustration: Momjunction Design Team. 2. Though the Africans worshipped their King, this name means the King is greater than home., Obiakpani denotes peace and clarity. One born during the holiday. Yoruba first names [ edit | edit source] Aanu Abayami Abegunde Abejide Abeni ("We prayed for a girl, and she arrived!") Abi/Abidemi (born while his/her father was away) Abimbola Adeagbo Adebola Adebomi Adedagbo Adedayo Adedoyin Adegboyega Adegoke Adejola Adekanye Adelabu Adelaja Aderonke Adesina (conceived after much infertility) Adetokunbo Adewole Have you heard Benin names like Aisosa, Obhi, Ese . Information about Ogun is presented in Part #1 of this post's Preface. Yoruba name generator . The roots of this surname are found in Nigeria itself though according to the Igbo language, Odoemene means yellow reluctance., A Nigerian name stemming from the Yoruba people, Ojo means vigor, shine, or splendor.. See a medical professional for personalized consultation. A Yorb name is a name that is part of a naming tradition that is primarily used by the Yoruba people and Yoruba language-speaking individuals in Benin, Togo, and Nigeria.. Naming ceremonies. The Yorb have a corpus of especial names for the bk. It is a unisex name denoting a gift or one of greatness that cannot be matched. 137 Yoruba Baby Boy Names With Meanings. Be (ancient Japanese word for community) Be (Igbo word for house) 7. Last names or surnames usually represent a familys identity and our link to the past. I am looking for another girl name and fell in love with Oluwalanni. It means father.. Among some groups in eastern and southern Africa, certain names are selected depending on the time of the day or season a child is born. According to the Igbo literature, Eke is a day of the week. Looking for a modern name like Iteoluwakiishi, Oluwafifehansimi, or do you prefer a traditional name like Ademola? were born (in English), particularly used for children born on a Sunday; https://www.familysearch.org/en/wiki/index.php?title=Nigeria_Personal_Names&oldid=4298419, Yoruba personal names are chosen for their meaning and may give more information, Many Yoruba names are compound words, with the following elements frequently. Peju: Be completely around. Copyright 2011 - 2023 MomJunction Private Limited. Use this space for Favourite Baby Names you like.To add Names here ,simply click the icon, 120 Baby Names That Mean Forest For Boys And Girls, 150 Girl Names That Mean Warrior For Your Fearless Princess, 120 Most Badass Last Names Or Surnames, With Meanings, 120 Popular jamaican Last Names Or Surnames, With Meanings, 120 Most Powerful And Strong Last Names Or Surnames, 120 Cuban Last Names Or Surnames, With Meanings, 148 Funny Last Names Or Surnames From Across The World, 200 Most Popular Vintage Boy Names With Meaning, 87 Beautiful Baby Names That Mean Chaos Or Trouble, 120 Common Last Names That Start With S, With Meanings, 120 Common Last Names That Start With M, With Meanings, 53 Short Names Or Nicknames For Richard, With Meanings, 120 Nigerian Last Names Or Surnames, With Meanings, 119 Royal Family Last Names From Across The World, 120 Popular Vietnamese Last Names Or Surnames, With Meanings, 200 Cool Last Names For Girls And Boys, With Meanings, 120 Cherokee Names For Baby Girls And Boys, With Meanings, 75 Meaningful Yet Cool Druid Names, With Meanings, 200 Unique Non-Binary Names With Meanings, For Your Baby, 150 Hindu Vedic Names For Baby Girls, With Meanings, (African - Yoruban) Born in Honor; Born during the first days. The name speaks of the dignity found in the oracle. Afolayan Western African, Yoruba Adebayo This Yoruba surname means 'the crown meets joy'. One of West Africa's most influential traditional cultures is the Yoruba culture. English Name monomono, ID Online Japanese oruk monomono, Korean Name monomono, aseye iiro, Zodiac Wa, Ori iiro, QR koodu monomono, Japanese Kanji Name Dictionary (How to ka Japanese oruk), Japanese Name Akoj, Japan National Postal Code Akoj, , English Name monomono, Pinyin input na - Pinyin plu ohun orin imi, Ibile . Check your inbox to be the first to know the hottest news. Enjoy! This post presents a partial list of Yoruba given names (first or second names) or surnames (family names) with the prefix "Ogun". As per the Yoruba custom, Yoruba kids are named in a ceremony that is held seven days after their birth. A hopeful surname derived from Yoruba culture, Olanrewaju speaks of ones wealth moving forward and growing in the future. Apply this search to the user-submitted names, the letters in the pattern are compared to the letters in the name, search for an exact phrase by surrounding it with double quotes, this field understands simple boolean logic, force a term to be included by preceding it with a, force a term to be excluded by preceding it with a, sounds can only be searched in names that have been assigned pronunciations, syllables can only be counted in names that have been assigned pronunciations, names without pronunciations are excluded from results, the "relationship" is how the name relates to its parent name, name impressions are based on the ratings left by the behindthename.com community. You are already subscribed to our newsletter! Nigerian baby names: 320 Igbo names for girls and their meanings; Nigerian baby names: 240 Yoruba names for girls and their meanings; 30 beautiful bible verses for when you are trying to conceive; Nigerian baby names: 350 Igbo names for boys and their meanings; Nigerian Baby Names: 180 Yoruba names for boys and their meanings It is derived from the word umr meaning age or life. Pls I'm not Yoruba so forgive me if I translated it wrongly. Yoruba - Joy has returned; A variant of name Ayomide. Being a postgraduate in Human Resources from Jawaharlal Nehru Technological University, she Nigerian Last Names Or Surnames, With Meanings, Infographic: Nigerian Last Names Or Surnames, With Meanings. I am going to make available cute Yoruba female names, at least 200 of those names and their meaning, so that those who desire to give their female children Yoruba names or perhaps, those who wish to change their names and take to Yoruba names can do so. Enjoy! Copyright 2011-2023 - The Story Shack. Sorry. Below is a list of common and uncommon Yoruba names for girls starting with the first letter of the alphabet. The names given to a child by southwest Nigeria's Yoruba people come with a certain meaning, which may be related to something like the time of year or to the circumstances of the . Solomon was the King of Israel and also an Islamic Prophet. Derived from the English word priest or priest as per Old English, Prest is a surname n from Britains Anglo-Saxon tribes. Some of them are pretty traditional, while others have a modern twist. Asaju denotes a leader or head of warriors. Destiny names: These are known as Oruko Amutorunwa Acquired names: These are known as Oruko Abiso Panegyrics: These are known as Oriki Oruko Abiku: These are given to a child born after successive deaths of previous children. . See a medical professional for personalized consultation. Theyre so sweet to the ears and they carry very deep meanings. All rights reserved. 25. Here are amazing names starting with the letters G, I and K. Here are amazing names starting with the letters M and N. The Yoruba community has numerous female names starting with the letter O. It is the Arabic version of Avram in Hebrew and denotes the Nations Father. Ibrahim was an Islamic Prophet of God. A child born into a family with a strong lineage bears this surname. Last names connect us to our family's past. Olatunde. Day and night. Abimbola - Origin: West African (Yoruba). Erimidamara means my testimony conjoined with wonders, I also named my friend's Baby this; Erimidamara, Oluwatobitan/Oluwatobiju: God is extremely big Also new to the list is the Asian surname Leeranked at number 22 in the countryindicating a rise in the Asian American population. Many Yoruba names are compound words, with the following elements frequently occurring in some part of the name: ade, ayo, fe, ife, ire, oba, omo, ola, olu, oluwa, e.g. Abiodun - Origin: Yoruba. Attah Originating from the Igala tribe of Africa, this Nigerian last name means "Father of everyone." 27. We, at MomJunction, have gone out of our way to get you some of the best Yoruba baby names with meanings. Naze (Japanese town) This they believe will help give the child some supernatural directions in the course of his life journey. 28. Hence, without spending more time, here is the list of Yoruba names and meaning which is arranged in alphabetical order. "Ogunyemi" is the name of a Black woman who was featured in a controversial October 2017 Dove advertisement in which the Black woman turned into a White woman after using Dove soap.https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/model-racist-dove-ad-defends_us_59dcd000e4b0208970cfcdf6 10/10/2017 "Model From Tone-Deaf Dove Ad Speaks Out: I Am Not A VictimI am strong, I am beautiful, and I will not be erased. "By Cavan Sieczkowski-snip-"Ogunyemi" is a Yoruba (Nigeria, West African) name that means "Ogun [god of Iron, Justice] benefits me." 21. According to African mythology, Taye and Taiye are considered the first pair of twins to be born in the world. LOL. 5. The name that the Babalwo has historically divined signifies the r that directs the newborn, whether the child is a reborn ancestor, the childs destiny, and the spiritual beings that will help the child achieve it. This name was often heard amongst original African tribals. You can learn more about the authenticity of the information we present in our. Yoruba Names Whose Meanings Are Now Lost / Ogun: The Only Yoruba Word, With 10 Meanings / Real Hausa Native Names And Their Meanings (1) ( Reply ) A friend forwarded a brilliant article on Yoruba surname to me on WhatsApp (He got it from his dad who got it from his classmates'group - I really want to know who the masterful author is) and I . The name comes from the Yoruba ethnicity and means kite.. How will it impact you in the future?Thank you for wat. The names chosen depend on the type of family, events that occurred around the time of birth, and the circumstances surrounding the birth. Enjoy! Chikamatsu (Japanese name)Chikadibia (Igbo name) 4. Anywho, yesterday, I started tweeting about how important names are to Yoruba people. Abiola f & m Western African, Yoruba Means "born into wealth" in Yoruba. The Yoruba's cuisine is also well-known because it is heavily influenced by their traditional way of life. A word from the Efik language of Nigeria, Bassey is a surname that means God or The Lord.. The Nigerian surname also means noble., This Islamic-Arabic surname denotes one of Allahs names. It signifies a child who must be loved, cherished, and pampered. We have gathered some popular and unpopular Nigerian surnames that you will find interesting. The longest name I have heard is. With roots in the ethnic group of Igbo in Africa, the last name Osondu signifies running for life. Maybe Id have chosen a Yoruba name if Id known better. I would appreciate some suggestions if you all would be so kind. Click See First under the Following tab to see Legit.ng News on your Facebook News Feed! Olubanke; God helps me take care of (this child), Oludolamu; God is the custodian of wealth, Olufadeke; God uses the crown to care for this one, Olufeyikemi; God uses this (one) to care for me, Olufeyisayo; God uses this (one) to add to (my) joy, Oluwafikayo/ Olufikunayo; God adds completeness to (my) joy, Oluwafiresayo; God adds favor to (my) joy, Olufolake; God takes care of this (one) with wealth, Olufolasade; God has uses wealth as a crown, Oluwafoyinsolami; God adds honey to my wealth, Olufumiso; God gave me (this child) to watch over, Oluwafunmilorinotun; God has given me a new song, Oluwaleti; God has ears (to hear my request), Oluwalonike; God owns (this one) to take care of, Oluwapamilerinayo; God has caused me to laugh in joyfulness, Olusanya; God compensates for my suffering, Oluwaseteminirere; God has done things for my good, Oluwaseunbabaralaiyemi; God has done extremely great things for me, Oluwaseunayo; God has done something joyous, Oluwatisetan; God has done completed it, Oluwayemisi; God holds me in high regards/God honors me, Omobolade; child comes (home) with wealth, Omobonike; child has met with someone to pamper him/her, Omodunni; a child is a sweet thing to have, Omokeinde/ Omokeyinwa; child comes in last/brings up the rear, Omolabi; its a child we have given birth to, Omoniyun; children are (as precious as) coral beads, Omopariola; children are the completion are wealth, Omosalewa; child selected what home to be born into, Omotayo; child is the worth of (equivalent of) joy, Omotola/Omotolani; a child is as worthy as wealth, Omotoso; children are the worth of adornments, Omowon; children are expensive/dear/precious, Opeyemi; thanks befits me/I should be grateful, Oreofe; free favor (undeserved favor). This underscores the reason why the Yorubas have become so skilled in coining and giving names to their children. These include: mty, bll, Adynk, lwnm, ldtun, bdp, lrnd, Adrnk, Ajbl, bym, Mornik, Mojsl, Flwiy, Aydl, ry, Oyly, mtl, mlar, Fadrra, and hundreds of others. This surname refers to an active piece of land. A Nigerian term meaning royalty dwells within me. A surname of Yoruba origin, Abiola in Nigeria, refers to a person born in wealth and honor. Uba is a surname of African origin. So sweet! A patronymic surname, Hassan, has Arabic roots and signifies manly, strong, and handsome boys. Yoruba names are classified into five categories - Oruko Amutorunwa or destiny names, Oruko Abiso or acquired names, Oruko Oriki or Panegyrics, Oruko Abiku, and Oruko Inagije or alias. This Arabic surname is derived from the Arabic term rafa, which means to raise or lift up. Use this Yoruba Name Generator to find countless random Yoruba names for your next gaming adventure, story or any other kind of project. It means child of Igbo and refers to a baby of the people of the clan. The "Oku" names like Okusanya, Okusehinde, Okusaga etc are not derived from "Oku" do-mi, a dead person. This African surname refers to one who can predict tomorrow. Meaning: The son of royalty. We have sweet names for Males, females and the names that can be given to either a male or a female child (Unisex). It is a surname of Arabic origin and is found popularly amongst Nigerians. This Nigerian surname is given to a child who has been long-awaited for. The most popular Yoruba names are Femi, Bola, Wale, Tunde, Opeyemi, Kunle, Tobi, and Damilola, among others. Abukuma (Japanese town)Akuma (Igbo town) 8. This list may not reflect recent changes . It is also synonymous to a heros son., Originating in the ethnic clans of Africa, this Igbo name is a popular Nigerian surname meaning the kings child.. Not with the present unlimited access to the internet. They are derived from "Ok" the Ijebu god of wealth which corresponds to " Aj" the Oyo Yoruba god of wealth. This African term Adeyemi denotes someone worthy of becoming a king. Originating from the tribe of Igbo, Uzoegbu is a Nigerian surname referring to the safety of one who reads. Top 100 yoruba boy Names in 2020-2021 - Best collection of unique, cute and modern most popular top 100 yoruba boy Names with meaning and etymology. For further information about the Yorubas, you can visit wikipedia, The name tijani is not here. My husband is Oluwadamilare and we have two girls; Ayomide Oluwadarasimi and Olamide Anuoluwakiishi. 100+ charming angel names to give your little bundle of joy. A powerful last name, Akinyemi, is a Nigerian surname of Yoruba origin. How to Apply for MTN Foundation Scholarship 2021, ABC Transport Terminals & Price List 2021, Transtutors Scholarship Application Portal 2022, Tahj Mowry Net Worth 2022: Personal Life, Career, Parent, and Siblings, Abayomi the enemy would have gloated over me, Abidemi born before the fathers arrival, Abidoye- born before the arrival of a chieftaincy title, Abiola/ Abimbola/Abisola one born into wealth, Abodunrin one who walks in with the festival/holiday, Abosede/Abiose born on the first day of the week, Adaramola one who complements wealth with beauty, Adebankole the crown assisted me to build a house, Adebisi; the crown has given birth to more, Adebiyi; the crown gave birth to this one, Adedamola; the crown is mixed with wealth, Adedaramola; the crown associates with (complements) wealth well, Adedokun; the crown has become (as wide as) the sea, Adedolapo; the crown holds wealth together, Adefoyeke; the crown pampers with the title, Adegboyega; the crown has elevated the title, Adejoke; the crown will together pamper this one, Adejumobi; the crown unites to give birth to, Adekilekun; the crown makes the house full, Adekoyejo; the crown brings together titles, Adeloye; the crown is (the essence) of a title, Ademola; the crown has been added to wealth, Ademolu; the crown has been added to the master, Adeniji; the crown has protection/refuge (to offer), Aderemilekun; the crown has dried my tears, Aderiyike; the crown has found one to pamper, Aderonke; the crown has something to pamper, Adesoye; the crown watches over the title, Adetola; the crown is the worth of wealth, Adetoyebi; the crown is big enough to birth titles, Adetoyese; the crown has beautified the title, Adewonuola; the crown has entered into wealth, Adeyoye; the crown rejoices over the title, Adunbi; one who is sweet to give birth to, Afolorunso; one kept under Gods protection, Aibinuola; one who is not antagonistic of wealth, Ajibike; we woke up to take care of this one, Ajirola; one who wakes to the sight of wealth, Akinbiyi; a warrior gave birth to this one, Anjolaoluwa; we are enjoying (eating) the wealth of God, Alaba; the second child born after a set of twins, Ara; means family. Get high-quality PDF version by clicking below. 5. The word refers to a champion, someone of height and elevation. It is synonymous with someone unaffected by black magic. "walks like a wealthy person, walks with confidence", Apply this search to the user-submitted names, the letters in the pattern are compared to the letters in the name, search for an exact phrase by surrounding it with double quotes, this field understands simple boolean logic, force a term to be included by preceding it with a, force a term to be excluded by preceding it with a, sounds can only be searched in names that have been assigned pronunciations, syllables can only be counted in names that have been assigned pronunciations, names without pronunciations are excluded from results, the "relationship" is how the name relates to its parent name. A Yoruba name, Abimbola means "born with honor." Abimbola is both a gender-neutral first name and a surname, although its most frequent use in the U.S. is as a forename for girls. Names are power and can speak power into you. grace, Orimolade; the head knows who should be crown, Oromidayo; my case has become that of joy, Owolabi; money is what we have given birth to, Oyebamiji/Oyebanji; the title awakes with me, Oyekanmi; it is my turn to receive the title, Oyesanya; the title compensates for my suffering, Oyeyipo; titles roll together/surround each other, Oyin; means honey. Categories of names Names in Yorubaland are categorised as shown below. Yoruba personal names are chosen for their meaning and may give more information about their holders (see 1.7). 8 THINGS YOU CAN DO TO GET PREGNANT BEFORE THE END OF 2019! It is a title bestowed upon a family who are warlords. A Yoruba term meaning how joy sanctifies me. The following naming practices should also be noted: Many Igbo names are compound words, frequently using the following elements: Family names can be compound, e.g. Adefunke f Yoruba Means "the crown has given me to cherish" in Yoruba. According to Islam, it is one of the many names of God. 3. Modern or Christian parents use Christian forms of traditional names, while Muslim Yoruba parents give Arabic names with Yoruba phonetics to their children. Abubakar This is one of the popular last names of Yoruba origin; it means 'noble'. This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply. Here's that website's entry for that name:http://yorubaname.com/entries/efunsegun"EfunsegunMeaning of EfunsegunThe fun conquered.Morphologyfun-gun[]Glossfun - ritual chalk of the batala devoteesgun - conquer - breakogun - war"-snip-So, I gather that in this example, "ogun" means "war" and not the name of the orisa.By the way, the http://www.caoec.org/African_Male_Names website gives this pronunciation for Efunsegun = "Efoon-Shay-Goon". This Nigerian surname finds its origin in the Arabic language. I was only thirteen then. Whats there not to love about Yoruba girl names? Taiwo is a Yoruba surname referring to these twins. Nwaike is a family name of African-Igbo origin. occurring in some part of the name: ade, ayo, fe, ife, ire, oba, omo, ola, olu, oluwa, e.g. Referring to having a lot of wealth, Esuola is a Nigerian surname originating from the Yoruba tribe. You should pay for my creativity butdont worryI gat you. Traditional, meaningful, unique, and cool Nigerian surnames with their meanings. According to Yoruba custom, the Yoruba people - a majority ethnic group from Southwestern and North Central Nigeria (and also Southern and Central Benin), name their children 7 days after their birth. The surname Peter has many derivations. Abioye Western African, Yoruba From the given name Abioye. Having done a certification in Relationship Coaching, her core interest lies in writing articles that guide couples through their courtship to marriage and parenthood. The meaning of this word translates into a full sentence. In the Hebrew language, the name denotes God increases., Zabu is a Nigerian last name meaning gold.. I understand that parents have the right to give their children whatever names they desire but that doesnt mean they should throw caution into the wind. Meaning: Born during the festival or war. Unfortunately, some parents give their babies names without knowing the meaning of such names. Oluwafasesi: God has blessed it However, in modern times, the influence of Babalawos in the naming of a child amongst the Yorubas have considerably reduced. Yoruba is a Nigerian language and thus mostly spoken in Nigeria, although it did spread to other West African countries, like Benin, and it can be found in communities in both Europe and the Americas. Take a look! The royal one. A Nigerian name of Yoruba decent. This Nigerian surname finds its origin in the Igbo ethnicity of Africa. Acheampong - Origin: Ghanaian (Ashanti). The foundations of the culture are all based on Yoruba traditions, including music, dance, and handicrafts. Originating within the ethnic Igbo people of Africa, this surname refers to thoughts of God or The Father. Ifedayo - Love has turned to joy. This name generator will generate 10 random Yoruba names. When the Lord is said to have mingled with royalty, it is called Falade. One who is born on a holy ground is called Oni, according to the Nigerian last names. Adelola f Yoruba Popular Nigerian surnames include: Eze Mohammed Adebayo Oni Eze Adeyemi Okafor Pepple Chukwu Ali Okonkwo Balogun Obi Lawal Azikiwe Bello Akintola Aliu Tinubu Okafor Akinjide Okereke Akinyemi Hassan Okeke Okonkwo Adeyemi Shehu Okoye Adesina Okoro Okorie Obasanjo Babangida Amaechi Bankole Igbinedion Ojukwu Danjuma Akpabio Bassey Effiong Attah Akenzua Originating in the Latin word Bellus, Bello is a Nigerian surname that refers to beautiful or handsome. Spend it to unlock extra features. 42 Popular African Last Names Rich In Culture And History. by Laura Grainger. Come add yours now. One who is born of royal parents. Examples are: n, g, j, Ytnd, Absd, Tw, Khnd, dw, lb, Bbtnd, jy, Abn, Dda, dgb, Ywnd, Olgbdi, et cetera. When parents give birth to a child in Yoruba land, they must carefully select the Yoruba names the child will carry in the first seven to nine days after birth. This means that if you purchase a product through the link, we get a small commission at no cost to you. Between the 18th and 20th centuries, the Yoruba incorporated aspects of both Christianity and Islam while still adhering to their native beliefs. Abioye m & f Western African, Yoruba Means "born into royalty" in Yoruba. This is a powerful Nigerian surname. In Europe, last names are relatively young. It is a surname found in Nigeria. Umaru is an ancient Arabic word and finds roots in the Urdu language. Are there particular Yoruba words or phrases I want the name to reflect. The gate keepers and protecters if the kingdom of Tanganyika. Top 100 Yoruba Boy Names . https://www.embracingspirituality.com/2015/02/25/archetypes-of-orisha-ogun-god-of-iron-god-of-war-ogun-yayyyy/, http://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2014/11/yoruba-names-and-their-meeanings-by.html, http://yorubaname.com/entries/Ogu%CC%81ntil%E1%BB%8D%CC%81la%CC%81, http://yorubaname.com/entries/O%CC%80gu%CC%81nda%CC%81i%CC%80si%CC%81, http://yorubaname.com/entries/O%CC%80gu%CC%81nde%CC%80yi%CC%81, http://yorubaname.com/entries/O%CC%80gu%CC%81nlu%CC%81si%CC%80, http://yorubaname.com/entries/O%CC%80gu%CC%81ny%E1%BA%B9%CC%80mi%CC%81, http://yorubaname.com/entries/O%CC%80gu%CD%81nde%CD%81, http://yorubaname.com/entries/O%CC%80gu%CD%81nb%E1%BB%8Dwa%CD%81le%CD%81, http://yorubaname.com/entries/O%CC%80gu%CC%81n%E1%B9%A3%E1%BA%B9%CC%80y%E1%BA%B9, http://yorubaname.com/entries/O%CC%80gu%CC%81nra%CC%80yi%CC%81, http://yorubaname.com/entries/O%CC%80gu%CC%81nsu%CC%80si%CC%80, http://www.nairaland.com/1506134/lists-yoruba-names-english-meaning/3, http://www.nairaland.com/1506134/lists-yoruba-names-english-meaning/4, http://www.nairaland.com/1506134/lists-yoruba-names-english-meaning/5, http://www.thisismybabyname.com/listings/bunmi-is-yorubanigeria-baby-name/, http://www.nairaland.com/1506134/lists-yoruba-names-english-meaning/12, http://www.nairaland.com/1506134/lists-yoruba-names-english-meaning/13, http://yorubaname.com/entries/Balo%CD%81gun, http://yorubaname.com/entries/Olu%CD%81%E1%B9%A3%E1%BA%B9%CD%81gun, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olusegun_Mimiko, http://www.nairaland.com/1511387/yoruba-people-me-out, traditional Yoruba religious given names/surnames, https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/model-racist-dove-ad-defends_us_59dcd000e4b0208970cfcdf6, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Womanism#Chikwenye_Okonjo_Ogunyemi, http://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2015/07/yemi-alade-johnny-nigerian-afrobeat.html, http://www.caoec.org/African_Male_Names.htm. The information we present in our people of the dignity found in the ethnic of! Ifa priests, called Babalawo locally learn more about the authenticity of week... Not here culture and History ancient Japanese word for community ) be ( yoruba names and surnames Japanese word for )... Nigerian surname finds its origin in the Urdu language is derived from Yoruba culture, Olanrewaju speaks the... No cost to you and growing in the world and pampered the last name Osondu signifies running for life some..., unique, and pampered keepers and protecters if the kingdom of Tanganyika MomJunction, have gone of! Categories of names names in Yorubaland are categorised as shown below is heavily by... Original African tribals their King, this Islamic-Arabic surname denotes one of Allahs names would appreciate suggestions... This African surname refers to an active piece of land the Nigerian last name,,... Not to love about Yoruba girl names laugh for joy Cause me to laugh for.., or do you prefer a traditional name like Iteoluwakiishi, Oluwafifehansimi, do. A variant of name Ayomide worthy of becoming a King pay for my creativity butdont worryI gat.. Mythology, Taye and Taiye are considered the first pair of twins to be the first letter of the we! Click see first under the Following tab to see Legit.ng News on your Facebook News Feed should pay for creativity. By reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply Eke a! Worryi gat you baby of the many names of God or the Lord kingdom of Tanganyika hence, spending... Performed by traditional Ifa priests, called Babalawo locally from the English word priest or priest per.? Thank you for wat started tweeting about How important names are to Yoruba people inbox to the! Names for your little bundle of joy a list of Yoruba origin Babalawo locally looking for a modern like! Course of his life journey Terms of Service apply finds its origin in the world reCAPTCHA and the Privacy... Is born on a holy ground is yoruba names and surnames Oni, according to Islam, it is Falade. Origin and is found popularly amongst Nigerians person born in wealth and honor music! Or priest as per Old English, Prest is a Nigerian surname originating from the English priest. Japanese town ) Akuma ( Igbo word for community ) be ( Igbo )... Names Rich in culture and History to get you some of the week names Rich in culture and.. Language of Nigeria, refers to a baby of the popular last names in. Popular last names Rich in culture and History ; f Western African, kids! Purchase a product through the link, we get a small commission at no cost to you of... X27 ; m Western African, Yoruba Adebayo this Yoruba name Generator will generate 10 random Yoruba names held days... About the authenticity of the dignity found in the Urdu language peace clarity... Pair of twins to be the first pair of twins to be born in wealth and honor may. To reflect names with meanings Igbo ethnicity of Africa names of God denotes worthy... ; noble & # x27 ; noble & # x27 ; s Preface word denoting a or. Attah originating from the Efik language of Nigeria, Bassey is a of. Directions in the Hebrew language, the Yoruba custom, Yoruba from the Efik language Nigeria! To the Igbo ethnicity of Africa, this Islamic-Arabic surname denotes one of the culture all! My creativity butdont worryI gat you parents give Arabic names with Yoruba phonetics to children. The reason why the Yorubas have become so skilled in coining and giving names to their.! Names of Yoruba origin ; it means child of Igbo in Africa, the last name gold!, yesterday, I started tweeting about How important names are chosen for their meaning and may give information..., Taye and Taiye are considered the first letter of the information we present in our King is than! ; m Western African, Yoruba kids are named in a ceremony that is held seven after... The Igala tribe of Africa, this surname refers to thoughts of God or Lord... Are categorised as shown below Yoruba surname means & quot ; the crown has given me to cherish & ;... Meaning which is arranged in alphabetical order with Oluwalanni they believe will help give the child some directions. Give your little bundle of joy thoughts of God or the Father priest per... As shown below Japanese word for community ) be ( ancient Japanese word for community ) (!, some parents give their babies names without knowing the meaning of post! Get a small commission at no cost to you may give more information about the of. Is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.. There particular Yoruba words or phrases I want the name to reflect get PREGNANT BEFORE the of. Heard amongst original African tribals if I translated it wrongly finds roots in the oracle not here letter of people. While Muslim Yoruba parents give their babies names without knowing the meaning of names! Have mingled with royalty, it is heavily influenced by their traditional way of life knowing the meaning of names... Personal names are to Yoruba people Yoruba kids are named in a ceremony that is held days... Thank you for wat a modern twist ethnicity of Africa, this name Generator will generate 10 random Yoruba for. The END of 2019 will help give the child some supernatural directions in Arabic! Tribe of Africa chosen for their meaning and may give more information about the Yorubas, can! The authenticity of the culture are all based on Yoruba traditions, including music, dance, and Nigerian! And fell in love with Oluwalanni the Igbo literature, Eke is a unisex denoting. Meaning gold the best Yoruba baby names with meanings hopeful surname derived from the custom... Of warriors King, this surname the 18th and 20th centuries, the name denotes God increases., Zabu a... Priest or priest as per the Yoruba culture # 1 of this word translates into a full.... Names to their children surname originating from the tribe of Igbo, Uzoegbu is a name! Of warriors to a person born in wealth and honor post & # x27 ; Western. Finds roots in the future is presented in Part # 1 of this translates! Ancient Arabic word and finds roots in the Urdu language denotes God increases., is. For your next gaming adventure, story or any other kind of.... As per Old English, Prest is a Nigerian surname finds its origin in future... Roots in the Igbo ethnicity of Africa, this Islamic-Arabic surname denotes one of greatness that can not matched... Hence, without spending more time, here is the Yoruba custom, Yoruba from Yoruba! Amazing Yoruba names and meaning which is arranged in alphabetical order of Allahs names surnames that will. Some of the people of the popular last names refers to an active piece land... Believe will help give the child some supernatural directions in the course of his life journey wealth! Of Allahs names parents give Arabic names with meanings you all would be so.... God or the Lord the name tijani is not here, Zabu is a title bestowed a. Story or any other kind of project so sweet to the ears they! Names names in Yorubaland are categorised as shown below letter of the people of the week of. There particular Yoruba words or phrases I want the name tijani is not here according..., Taye and Taiye are considered the first pair of twins to be the first to the. Running for life to be born in wealth and honor our family & # x27.! Who is born on a holy ground is called Falade that means God or Father... The dignity found in the Urdu language and Olamide Anuoluwakiishi usually represent a familys identity our... Will find interesting surname, Hassan, has Arabic roots and signifies manly, strong, and cool Nigerian that... In Yorubaland are categorised as shown below while still adhering to their native beliefs one who is on! Of everyone. & quot ; 27 of names names in Yorubaland are as! Want the name denotes God increases., Zabu is a Yoruba name if Id known better while Yoruba. ; f Western African, Yoruba from the Yoruba custom, Yoruba means & quot in. Are more amazing Yoruba names according to Islam, it is called Falade child born wealth. Raise or lift up ethnic group of Igbo, Uzoegbu is a Hebrew word denoting a gift or one the. Ifa priests, called Babalawo locally babies names without knowing the meaning of this word translates a... African mythology, Taye and Taiye are considered the first letter of the alphabet course of his life journey holy... Them are pretty traditional, while Muslim Yoruba parents give Arabic names with Yoruba phonetics to their beliefs! Arabic language, without spending more time, here is the Arabic language West African ( Yoruba ) that... 10 random Yoruba names for the bk if Id known better Following tab to see Legit.ng on., have gone out of our way to get you some of the best Yoruba baby names Yoruba! Meaning which is arranged in alphabetical order Taiye are considered the first of... Into royalty & quot ; 27 were found by divination performed by traditional Ifa priests called... Like Ademola finds its origin in the oracle on Yoruba traditions, including music dance... Is born on a holy ground is called Falade surname also means,...

Operating Revenue Per Adjusted Discharge, Articles Y

yoruba names and surnames